FERRERO ROCHER CUPCAKES
- 175 g (1+1/2 cup) all purpose flour
- 30 g (1/4 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 185 g (3/4 cup+1tbsp) granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 125 g (1/2 cup) milk room temperature
- 110 g (1/2 cup) vegetable oil flavorless oil like sunflower seed oil, canola oil...
- 125 g (1/2 cup) hot water
- 12 hazelnuts
- About 200 g (3/4 cup) Nutella slightly warmed in microwave for few seconds
- 250 g (10 oz)) Mascarpone cheese chilled
- 80 g (2 tbsp) Nutella
- 125 g (1/2 cup) whipping cream chilled
- 17 g (2 tbsp) powdered sugar
- 10 g (1+1/2 tbsp) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 12 Ferrero Rocher truffles
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, granulòated sugar, salt, baking soda.
- In a medium size bowl, combine eggs, milk and oil.
- Add the egg mix into the flour mix and mix just until combined (don’t overmix).
- Add very hot water: you’ll reach a fluid batter.
- Divide the batter into 11-12 lined cupcake molds, about 2/3 full each.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180°C-350°F for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool down completely (meanwhile you can prepare the frosting and refrigerating until use it).
- Into a large bowl, mix Mascarpone and powdered sugar with a spatula until soft.
- Add Nutella and mix just until well combined.
- Into a medium size bowl, sift powdered sugar and unsweetened cocoa powder: add, little by little, the chilled whipping cream and mix until well combined and no lumps.
- Whip until medium-stiff peaks form.
- Gently combine with a spatula the cocoa whipped cream with the Mascarpone mix.
- Transfer the Frosting into a piping bag (open star 1M tip) and place in refrigerator until ready to be used.
- Toast the hazelnuts in a non-stick pan over medium heat until the dark skin are cracked (for about 5 minutes): often tossing to prevent burnt and evenly toast them.
- Place the toasted hazelnuts into a small-medium size bowl and scratch them to peel the most of the skin.
- Make a hole in the center of cupcakes using a knife or the back of a piping tip. Place one toasted hazelnut in every cupcake’s hole.
- Fill the cupcake's holes with slightly warmed Nutella
- Decorate the cupcakes on top using the Frosting placed into the prepared piping bag.
- Place a Ferrero Rocher truffle on top and serve.
Thanks to this fluid chocolate cupcakes batter made with vegetable oil and with hot water, you’ll get very moist cupcakes that rest soft for days even if you store them in refrigerator!
The batter is very easy to make, you need only two bowls and a whisk, no hand mixer are required. You just need to mix the wet ingredients into the dry ones and add the hot water in the end: that’s it!
Cupcakes are not muffins, the secret to get a pretty flat top cupcakes is to not overbeat the batter: so it’s better to use a whisk than a hand mixer, to avoid incorporating too much air.
This chocolate Nutella frosting is made with Mascarpone cheese.
You don’t need to use it at room temperature, I always make my Mascarpone frosting with Mascarpone chilled right from the fridge and always it turned out smooth without lumps!
If you can’t find Mascarpone cheese in your Country, you can use cream cheese instead. But I suggest, if you can, to use Mascarpone that is incredibly rich and sweet , the best choice for this Nutella frosting!