NO BAKE MANGO CHEESECAKE
- 140 g (5 oz, about 10 Digestive) Digestive biscuits or other similar biscuits
- 70 g (1/3 cup) unsalted butter melted
- 350 g (12 oz) cream cheese doesn't matter if chilled or room temperature
- 110 g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or vanilla extract
- 125 g (1/2 cup) unsweetened plain yogurt
- 240 g (1 cup) whipping cream or heavey cream, chilled
- 150 g (2/3 cup) mango puree you can buy pure unsweetened mango puree or you can make it at home: read the step 1 of Gelatine Mango Topping instructions
- 14 gelatine leaves or gelatine powder
- 30 g (2 tbsp) hot water
Gelatine Mango Topping
- 400 g (1+2/3 cup) water
- 110 g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 40 g (2+1/2 tbsp) fresh lemon juice thw juice from about 1 small lemon
- 25 g gelatine leaves or gelatine powder
- about 3 mango
- Process biscuits until finely crumbs form. You can use a food processor, or place biscuits into a ziplog bag, close it and use a rolling pin to mash biscuits into evenly fine crumbs.
- Mix biscuit crumbs with melted butter until evenly moistened.
- Press the mix in the bottom of a 18,5cm-7inch ring cake. You can use a ring or the cake ring from a springform pan placed onto the serving plate and lined with acetate foil or parchment paper. Remember to overlap parchment paper or acetate for about 8cm-3inch to provent gelatine to escape outside.
- Put in refrigerator for about 20 minutes, or until the cheesecake mix is ready.
- In a large bowl, place cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and mix with a spatula until creamy and smooth.
- Incorporate yogurt in the mix.
- In a medium size bowl, mix whipping cream with a hand mixer until creamy and very soft peaks: you shouldn't turn into full whipped cream, it should be creamy.
- Incorporate the semi-whipped cream into the cream cheese mix.
- Gently incorporate mango puree. If you made mango puree from scratch processing fresh mango, I suggest to sift it because mango is a fibrous fruit.
- Soak gelatine leaves into chilled water for about 5-10 minutes, then squeeze it and dissolve it into 30 g of hot water (water doesn't need to boil, I just microwave it until hot). Mix until gelatine completely dissolves. If gelatine doens't completely dissolve, just heat the mix a bit into microwave for few seconds. If you use gelatine powder, you don't need to soak it into chilled water.
- Cool down a bit gelatine mix until slightly warm and incorporate it into cream cheese mix.
- Pour cream cheese mix on top of the crust and refrigerate for about 3 hours or until cheesecake set on top. You can also put it in freezer for 30 minutes to accelerate the setting time.
Gelatine Mango Topping
- Peel mangos and take balls using a fruit scooper: you'll get about 16 balls from every mango and you'll need 37 balls to top all the cheesecake. You can use the leftover mango pulp to prepare your homemade mango puree for cheesecake, in this case you should scoop your mango balls and make mango puree as first step for making cheesecake.
- Place mango balls on top of setted cheesecake.
- For making gelatine, soak gelatine leaves into chilled water for 5-10 minutes.
- Mix together water, sugar, lemon juice and heat until hot (it doesn't need to boil) and sugar completely dissolved.
- Squeeze gelatine leaves and completely dissolves into hot water mix.
- Gently place about 1/4 of gelatine on top of mango balls and set in freezer for about 20 minutes, then pour the remaining gelatine. You may do not need all gelatine, mostly if you just want to cover mango balls or if you don't want a tall cake. I leftover about 100 g of gelatine mix.
- Place in refrigerator for about 4 hours or until gelatine is set.
In this recipe you can use gelatine leaf or gelatine powder, they are the same! So you don’t have to change the amount, you’ll just use the same amount even if you use gelatine powder.
The only different thing, is the method to use them. If you use gelatine leaf, you need to soak the leaves into chilled water for about 5-10 minutes or until they become soft, then squeeze it and completely dissolve into hot fluid.
If you’re using gelatine powder, you don’t need to soak it into chilled water, you just need to dissolve the powder into a small amount of chilled water and let it swell for about 5-10 minutes, then you can completely dissolve it into the hot fluid.
I used a food processor to reduce biscuits into fine crumbs, but don’t worry if you don’t have this kind of tool.
You can place your biscuits (Digestive or any other kind of similar cookies, chocolate biscuits works perfect too with Mango!) in a ziplog bag, close it well, then using a rolling pin to mash the biscuits. When you get fine crumbs, you can open the ziplog bag, pour melted butter in it, then close it and crease the bag until all the crumbs are moistened.
For this recipe you can make Mango puree at home using fresh mangos, or you can buy pure unsweetened mango puree.
If you make it at home, process the leftover mango pulp, then sift it well: mango is a fibrous fruit and if you skip to sift it, your cheesecake batter will turn out lumpy and not smooth.
For this recipe I leftover a bit of gelatine topping (about 100 g of gelatine mix). If you like a very tall cake and if you’re a gelatine addicted, you can surely use all the gelatine amount.
I suggest to be patient when you have to set cheesecake before placing mango fruit on top and wait until the cheesecake layer is completely set, or when you place fruit on top, you’ll remove some cheesecake batter, then it will float on top of your topping gelatine and, believe me, it’s not cute 😀 to get perfect, transparent and neat gelatine topping, you should wait until cheesecake is completely set! You can also use your freezer instead of refrigerator to make faster.