- 160 g (1+1/3 cup) all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 12 g (1 tbsp) sugar with this amount you'll get neutral pancakes where Nutella is the protagonist; for more sweet pancakes, use 2-3 tbsp of sugar.
- 200 g (3/4 cup + 2 tbsp) milk or buttermilk for more soft pancakes. For homemade buttermilk add 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice to your milk.
- 1 egg
- 40 g (3 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75 g (1/4 cup) Nutella
- Heat Nutella jar for few seconds in microwave until become less thick and spread 3 discs about 7 cm-2,7 inch diameter each one onto a parchment paper sheet (each Nutella disc is about 25 g-1+1/2 tbsp Nutella).
- Put Nutella discs in freezer for about 30 minutes or until completely frozenand hard.
- In a large bowl, sift and mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl mix together milk, egg, vegetable oil, vanilla.
- Pour gradually the milk mix into the flour mix and mix until get a batter: do not overbeat the batter! It doesn't matter if there are some small flour lumps, but doesn't mix it too much!
- Preheat for 2 minutes a very small non-stick pan (about 12 cm-5 inch size) over low heat.
- Slightly grease the pan with butter and absorb the excess with kitchen paper.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the pan, then immediately place one frozen Nutella disc in the middle, then pour 1/4 cup of batter on top of Nutella.
- Low the heat to minimum, cover the pan with a small lid and cook for about 5 minutes or until the top sides are firm but the middle batter on top is still runny and the bottom is golden brown.
- Flip pancake and cook for some more minutes always at the minimum heat or until the bottom is golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
Is pretty important to freeze your Nutella into discs before adding to pancakes, so your thick pancakes could cook through avoiding that Nutella cooked too much. Remember that if you cook Nutella too much, it turns out dry and not more creamy!
These pancakes are very thick, so they can feature so much Nutella inside! But since they are taller than usual pancakes, it’s very important you cook them over very low heat with a lid on top: with this technique your pancakes could cook through, they won’t turn out raw inside and the sides won’t burn!
I decided to use low sugar in the pancake batter, so I can taste all the sweetness of Nutella! With this recipe you’ll get a neutral pancake batter with sweet Nutella inside…is similar to eat bread with Nutella. If you prefer more sweet pancakes, you can increase sugar amount according to your taste! I suggest to try with 2-3 tbsp max of sugar.