RED VELVET CREPE CAKE
- 250 g (2 cups) all purpose flour
- 12 g (1+1/2 tbsp) unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or vanilla extract
- 50 g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- Red Food Coloring in paste
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk room temperature
- 60 g (1/4 cup) unsalted butter melted
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 500 g (1 pound) cream cheese chilled or room temperature
- 110 g (1 cup) powdered sugar
- 450 ml (2 cups) whipping cream or heavy cream, chilled
- 1+1/2 tsp vanilla paste or vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, salt and set aside.
- In another large bowl, add gggs, vanilla, sugar, red Food Coloring and mix until well combined.
- Add milk, butter and combine.
- Add little by little the egg mix into the flour mix to avoid lumps. Mix well until smooth.
- Heat a 20cm-8inch non-stick pan over medium heat; grease it with butter and absorb the excess with kitchen paper.
- Pour ¼ cup (about 50 ml) of batter in the middle of the pan and spread the batter all over the pan.
- Cook the crepe until the edges look well cooked, then flip and cook the other side for about 30 seconds. Repeat with all the batter: you'll get about 24 crepes.
- Cool down until prepare the Cream Cheese Filling.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a very large bowl, mix the cream cheese with vanilla and powdere sugar just until creamy (if you use an electric mixer, don’t beat it too much).
- In a large bowl, whip the whipping cream until creamy and soft peaks form.
- Add the whipped cream into the cream cheese mix with a hand mizer until smooth, thick and stiff peaks.
- Place in your serving plate the first crepe. Spread about 2 tbsp of cream cheese filling on top. Top with another crepe and repeat the process until all crepes are used.
- Top the cake with the leftover Cream Cheese Frosting. Use 1 inch - 2 cm round piping tip and a spoon to create a flower decoration.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Top the cake with fresh raspberries, mint leaves and sprinkle some powdered sugar (optional).
For this recipe I’ve used my favourite red food coloring in paste from the brand SugarFlair (no sponsor!), color “Christmas Red”. To get a bright color use professional food coloring and not the liquid ones that change the texture of your mix and give pale color.
You can also prepare the Cream Cheese Frosting in one easy method: put all your chilled ingredients in a bowl and mix with a hand mixer for few minutes until become smooth and fluffy; you just have to pay attention to not over beat it.
If you want to prepare a less tall Crepe Cake in few minutes, I suggest to halve all the ingredients, so you’ll get about 12 crepe layers. You can also spread some raspberry or strawberry jam alternate to the Cream Cheese Frosting, it will taste delicious!