RED VELVET MUG CAKE
- 35 g (2 tbsp+1 tsp) milk room temperature; you can substitute milk and vinegar with buttermilk
- 1/8 tsp white vinegar or lemon juice
- 35 g (3+1/2 tbsp) all purpose flour
- 3 g (1 tsp) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 25 g (2 tbsp) caster sugar or granulated white sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla paste or vanilla extract
- 12 g (1 tbsp) vegetable oil flavorless like sunflower oil, canola oil...
- Red food coloring paste
Cream Cheese Filling
- 15 g (1 tbsp) cream cheese like Philadelphia
- 6 g (1 tsp) powdered sugar
- In a very small bowl, mix together milk, with vinegar, stir and set aside for about 10-15 minutes.
- In a very small bowl prepare Cream Cheese Filling: mix cream cheese with powdered sugar and set aside.
- In a mug (250 ml - 1 cup) mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda.
- Add milk mix, vanilla, oil, red food coloring and mix until smooth.
- Add Cream Cheese Filling and cover it with some mug-cake batter.
- Cook in Microwave for 1 minute and 15 seconds.
- Cool down slightly before serve it.
- You can sprinkle some powdered sugar on top (optional).
For this Red Velvet recipe I’ve used red food coloring in paste by the brand Sugar Flair in “Christmas Red”. This is not sponsored, but it’s my favourite red food coloring. I suggest to not use liquid red food coloring, they have usually pale color and, if you add too much liquid, you’ll get a soggy cake batter.
Microwave cooks very fast, for this reason it’s the perfect tool you can use for cooking mug cakes, that are quick and easy treats.
I’ve used a Microwave 800 Watt power and my mug was ready in 1 minute and 15 seconds. If you have a Microwave with higher/lower wattage, you have to reduce/increase the cooking time for few seconds.
The cake is ready when the top is dry or, if you insert a skewer, it will turn out dry or just with some Cream Cheese. Rememebr to check every tot. seconds your cake because microwave cooks fast and you don’t have to overcook your cake or it will turn out dry.
If you don’t have microwave, you can bake it in air fryer or traditional oven at 180°C-350°F for few minutes. If you decide to bake in classic oven or air fryer, remember to not use a simple mug but I suggest to use a ramekin that is surely oven proof.
Don’t serve immediatly your mug cake because it’s very hot when it comes out from microwave. I suggest to wait about 5-10 minutes to slightly cool down.