WHOLE ORANGE CAKE - 3 INGREDIENTS
- 2 (550 g-1 pound) organic oranges
- 400 g (1+1/3 cups) sweetened condensed milk
- 230 g (2 cups) self rising flour or add 12 g (3 tsp) of baking powder to 230 g (2 cups) of all purpose flour
- Bring to a boil some water and boil the whole oranges for about 90 minutes. You can boil them the day before.
- Cut the whole boiled oranges in medium-small size pieces and place them into a food processor.
- Add condensed milk and process until evenly puree and well combined.
- Add self rising flour and process until well combine: don't over mix the flour, mix just as necessary to combine it.
- Transfer the batter into a greased and lined 20x20 cm – 8x8 inch square cake pan and spread evenly.
- Bake in preheated fan oven at 175°C-350°F for 45 minutes. Cover with aluminium foil if the cake top will brown too much. After 45 minutes a skewer will come out slightly moist in the center: the cake is done.
- Remove from the oven and slightly cool down for 5 minutes.
- Unmold and cool down the cake over a wire rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve it.
For this recipe you need the whole oranges, but it’s important you boil your oranges before. One of the main reason to boil is that the white peel of orange is pretty bitter, thanks to boiling them you remove this bitterness and you get just pure orange flavor!
So do not skip boiling your oranges or you can taste an unpleasant bitterness in the cake. You can also boil them the day before and store them in refrigerator before use them.
To finely process the boiled oranges you can use a food processor, a blender or a hand blender, it doesn’t metter, you just get a creamy batter with small orange zest pieces, like small candied orange pieces.
I’ve used a self rising flour, but you can use normal all purpose flour, you just need to add about 3 tsp (12 g) of baking powder to the the 230 g (2 cups) of all purpose flour.